Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What a stirring and inspiring inaugural speech Barack Obama gave today. I was moved to tears listening to him commit to accountability, honesty and fair play. His determination to revive old American values sent shivers down my spine - I even caught myself thinking about moving to America. It would be so good to be a part of that shake-up and guided by that leadership.

And when I read some writer's critiques of his speech in an article by Susan Salter Reynolds, I was particularly struck by this comment from author Ron Carlson, who was 'watching the President's syntax': ' "What courage," he said, "to use a complex sentence talking to a million people! By expecting the best of us, he just might get it." '

Hear, hear! I echo this comment heartily. Here's to the end of the dumbing-down era; here's to leaders who really lead, who are prepared to stand up and be counted; here's to America's renewal by drawing on inner strengths and values. And here's to the rest of the world stepping up to join them as we co-create our world.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lilian, I too felt the same, here comes the history :)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Liliane, I agree. I listened to it during the time in between two classes at my youngest school altogether with Berta, their wonderful English teacher, and we both were moved into tears, specially as we both are certain that peace & hope are what is needed in this world of ours, in this world our children will inherit and grow... it was most significant as we were watching the kids during their free time, running up and down and laughing at the school's backyard.

    ReplyDelete